The Apple Barrel was built in the 1940’s as an outlet for Edwin and Helen Vedder’s orchard on Terrace Mountain. Willis and Ruth Vedder Truax bought the outlet in 1965 and named it Apple Barrel. They sold seasonal produce, including apples, peaches, potatoes and maple products.” From Images of America: The Schoharie Valley by John P.D. Wilkinson.
The Loden family purchased the Apple Barrel in January 1983 after owning the Corner Store in Gallupville, NY. Since 1983, the Lodens have made several expansions to the business including additions for more retail space and the tremendously popular Apple Barrel Cafe.